Friday, May 15, 2009

Viking Battle Prayer

'Lo, there do I see my father.
'Lo, there do I see my mother,
and my sisters, and my brothers.
'Lo, there do I see the line of my people,
Back to the beginning.
'Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them,
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.


In the movie, The Thirteenth Warrior, the Viking Lord Buliwyf recited the said prayer along with his other Viking warriors as they face their final battle against the Wendol horde. The movie was based on Michael Crichton's novel, Eaters of the Dead.

Though the movie did not fare well in the box office, still it remains to be one of my favorite for its strong depiction of brotherhood and friendship that transcends borders, language, and even faith.

It evokes in me a sense of kindred purpose, unwavering courage and strength of character---qualities that at times I feel, wanting in my life. And so I made this post to serve as a reminder for me to stay true to the course in my journey to be a better man.


No comments: